Moray. IV30 2SJ.
Fax: 01542 783 418
Build on the site of an old chapel, the Longmorn
distillery has been founded by John Duff and two associates, Charles
Shirres and George Thomson in 1894, together with its neighbour Benriach.
John Duff founded the Glenlossie
19 years earlier.
Despite his good position within the whisky world in those days, John
Duff was crippled by debts because of the great recession in the whisky
industry at the end of the 19th century. He was forced to sell everything
to pay his creditors.
Among the candidates for buying the distillery, John Grant (from Glen
Grant) through his company Hill Thomson & Co who marketed
amongst others the "Something Special" blend.
In the early 1970's, Longmorn merged with the distillery "The
Glenlivet" to create "The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd".
The distillery doubled its production capacity in 1972 and again in
1974. The number of stills went from 4 to 8. Seagram purchased the distillery
in 1977. Longmorn is one of the few distilleries who never stopped production.
Longmorn is part of the collection "Heritage Collection".
The distilleries belonging to "The Chivas and Glenlivet Group",
part of Seagram have been bought by the French group Pernod-Ricard
on 19 december 2001.
Parts of the production are used in the blends Something Special and
for pictures of the distillery. >>>
home | about
| distillery | collection
| news | contact
| links | sitemap
| colophon | art